soundcheck;539740 Wrote:
> Hi Phil.
>
> I think I figured it out - at least partially.
>
> It's the ethernet jack. If I touch the ethernet jack metal frame  with
> my finger, hum is gone (or goes heavily down - I guess it needs to be
> measured).
>
> It becomes even more obvious if you unplug the ethernet cable and touch
> the frame then. I don't have any other cables, only power cord and
> earphones,  connected to the Touch.
>
> I guess there is no other way then returning the device. :(  Or I just
> listen to music with my finger plugged in into that ethernet jack. :)
> Just kidding. No it's not very funny the whole thing.
>
> Do you have any other ideas, what to do with this?
>
> Cheers
>
> BTW: I just read at Amazon.de , that I am not the only one having
> problems with the ethernet jack!! The squeezebox guys should have a
> closer look at that IMO hot topic. If the ethernet jack turns out to be
> a weak point they should quickly revise the product and the grounding
> scheme of that jack.
> The jack should be galvanically isolated from the network. Since the
> hum changes when connecting the cable there must be problem somewhere.
> We don't want to have the poluted ethernet ground in the device.

That's definitely a problem with your Touch. Mine doesn't do that. I'd
return it - talk to Support and see if this is a known fault...

--
Phil Leigh

ain't what you'd call minimal...
Touch(wired/XP) - TACT 2.2X (Linear PSU) + Good Vibrations S/W - MF
Triplethreat(Audiocom full mods) - Linn 5103 - Aktiv 5.1 system (6x
LK140's, ESPEK/TRIKAN/KATAN/SEIZMIK 10.5), Townsend Supertweeters, Blue
Jeans Digital,Kimber Speaker & Chord Interconnect cables
Kitchen Boom, Outdoors: SB Radio