pounce;540163 Wrote:

> I think it would be better for Logitech to be making this kind of
> statement unless we enjoy being totally negative and want to help give
> customers the impression (real or not) that development on this new
> product is poorly supported and that they should just return the
> device....

A product isn't really badly supported just because Logitech doesn't
add more functionality AFTER you have purchased it. Most electronic
products get no added functionality what so ever after the purchase, if
you want more functionality you need to buy the next version of most
electronic products.

Logitech (or at least Slim Devices) have historically been an exception
to this rule, I think their oldest player still works with the latest
version of Squeezebox Server even if it was release many years ago. Due
to this it also have a lot more functionality today than it had before.

It would certainly be better if Logitech stated these kind of things
but as a customer I'd honestly prefer that someone that has been around
for a while and see the trends stated it than that no one at all stated
it. I think most of the people that have been on these forums for a few
years see the same trends as Phil indicates.

I don't think we should expect that Logitech will be adding a lot of
functionality to this product after you have purchased it. Unless they
increase the amount of development resources I strongly suspect that
Logitech will focus on fixing bugs and implementing future products. If
we are lucky some of the features implemented for future products will
be reusable on the Touch but it's not always going to be the case.

However, the good news is that most of the software, both server and
firmware, is released under an open source license. Due to this I also
suspect that we will see a lot of added functionality through third
party developers.

So to sum it up, the future is bright after all...

--
erland

Erland Isaksson
'My homepage' (http://erland.isaksson.info) (Install my plugins through
Extension Downloader)
Custom Scan,  Custom Skip, Multi Library, Title Switcher and Database
Query plugins'
(http://wiki.erland.isaksson.info/index.php/Category:SlimServer))