No, you're not being a worry wart(!), but your concerns are valid. I,
too, am very disappointed with things as they stand, and I have spent
half a grand on two SBTs with the initial expectations that they would
do what they say on the tin -- or rather what the website wording
states. They don't, and my initial posts were met with disdain by
several on the forum when I mentioned consumer regulations in the UK,
designed primarily to protect consumers from companies selling products
that are not fit for purpose and/or do not perform according to how they
are described on the vending website.

In fact, I bet if we were to conduct a poll among SBT users on here, as
to whether they are satisfied with their purchase / whether the SBT does
what they expected it to / whether the SBT performs all features as
expected, we'd get a mixture of responses.

So, yes, I would hold off on getting one, at least until the developers
have sorted out the firmware and have addressed the numerous problematic
issues detailed herein, which seem mostly associated with HDD
recognition / reliabile connectivity issues. Anyone who says this is
nonsense -- well, just read the numerous posts to this effect.

If I know someone personally who is looking to buy a media streamer /
network music player that purports to do what the website states, in
this case, and I quote verbatim from Logitech's website: "You can
access music and pictures stored on flash drives and memory cards." and
"It doesn’t matter if your library includes 100 tracks or 100,000." --
well, I can't simply recommend it with the software in its current
incarnation, again based on both my experience and that of other
users.

Would you buy a car, knowing that some owners have had to return that
same model to the garage / go on a car-user forum / call customer
support to get it to work reliably, because it drove fine for 100
miles, but then stopped working?

Cheers, and spend your money wisely!

--
SomersetGuy