I'm not discounting anyone's problems here, but just to report some
alternative info:  My brother purchased a TOUCH (his first SB product).
I walked him through setup over the phone. Within about 15 minutes, he
had it up and running with updated firmware, etc. He is using the
internal "tinySC" with an attached harddrive (not sure what it is, but
a 3 year or so old, separately powered 500GB harddrive with about
54,000 mp3/aac tracks). I had him let the drive scan overnight. As of
the next morning, he's been using the Touch 24/7 with the attached
drive, running tinySC, and also listening to Pandora and various
internet radio. He's reported zero issues over the last 3 weeks. He's
running 7.5 software and is connecting with WIFI (about 70% signal).

To him this is all just magic. He probably would have been fine setting
it up without my help. The only things I really had him do that he
wouldn't have known, was to (1) move his router slightly (that
increased his wifi strength from about 45 to 70) and (2) NOT TOUCH
ANYTHING OR USE THE PLAYER until it had a chance to do a full music
scan off the USB drive.

--
garym