I am a very happy owner of a SB Touch, especially its sound quality,
appearance and general usability. But I've never tested the TinySC part
of its functionality; having an existing server running on a Buffalo
Linkstation made that moot for me.

I understand that prospective purchasers would like to know in advance
what are the limitations of the built-in server.

I also understand the bafflement of some that the music-scanning and
database usage part of the functionality could cause so many problems.
Comparison to an iPod has clearly generated more heat than light. But I
get the point that having a low powered embedded system handle a hard
drive full of music has been demonstrated on a massive scale by the
iPOD. But an iPOD needs a serious computer running iTunes to perform
the scanning part of work flow. A closer comparison would be the WD TV
multimedia boxes that scan an attached USB disk full of multimedia
files and make them available for browsing as a unified media library.

If it were up to me, I'd define some hard limits within which the
built-in TinySC is intended to function and have the UI inform the user
when those limits were about to be exceeded. For example in the file
discovery phase of the scan, I'd check if the limit was likely to be
exceeded and warn the user if it was. What would irk me, if I were
using TinySC, would be for the database/server functionality to use up
so many CPU/memory resources that it effectively prevents the player
from working.  Admittedly any such limitation (e.g., a track count)
would be a matter of judgement, but if chosen conservatively, it should
be possible to guarantee the user a smooth experience.

--
dsdreamer