floater;551671 Wrote:
> Please note that a couple of folks have referred to mp3 players that do
> indeed scan and maintain their own database, without the horrible
> kludge of iTunes for the iPod. Mp3 players dating back many years too,
> not the latest models!
>
> My Archos AV400 scans files at a rate of approximately 2500 per minute,
> without the aid of a PC at all. This is six year old technology! My
> Touch is considerably slower with a brand new hard drive.
I have two Archos units an AV500 and a 605Wifi, yes both scan really
fast, but they are also very rigid in what they do. Neither of them
will sort tracks in a album correctly, they all come up as track number
60 and so it sorts them by title. This means I have to use the folder
view rather than the database. This then messes up the now playing and
next screens as it uses the full file names.

Why does so they do this? No idea. SBS, iTunes and anything else I've
tried the MP3 library with works just fine. Any chance of getting this
sorted or working out what is going on? Nope. Anyway I use an iPod now
(I'd rather not, I hate it, but it's the only thing that integrates
with my car stereo).

Yes scanning with a Touch is slower than an Archos, but it does more
and is far more flexible. how often do you scan anyway? As long at it
is a reasonable scan time that's ok, I don't care if it is faster or
slower than device Y. So, once you getpast the scanning, what else is
the touch doing that nothing else mentioned in this thread doing? Well,
it can stream audio to other players, it has alarm functionality, it can
stream from the internet, it actually has a nice interface, it can be
controled remotely using a SB Controller, it has an IR remote
interface, it is customisable.... and the list goes on.

Oh, and it keeps a log of what is happening when something goes wrong,
so you actually have a hope of working out what happened. unlike my
iPod Classic which will randomly resart itself fo no apparent reason
and there is no way to report this fault back to Apple in the vain hope
they might do something about it. Same goes for both the Archos players
I've used.

--
funkstar

'[project log] funkstars digital lifestyle'
(http://forums.hexus.net/hexus-lifestyle/179882-project-log-funkstars-digital-lifestyle.html)
- 'hexus.community' (http://forums.hexus.net/)

*in use:* *1*x touch, *1*x boom, *2*x sb3, *1*x controller
*in a box:* *1*x radio, *1*x (beta) controller, *1*x receiver, *1*x sb2
wired (silver), *1*x sb (black), *1*x slimp3 (with rear shield)

if you have any others, let me know, i'm interested!!