Phil Leigh;551638 Wrote:

> The Touch handles my 35,000 FLAC files (including 2000 hi-rez files)
> fine from a standalone (self-powered) USB drive (I've tried 3 so far),
> so there is no inherent generic problem.

It would be very interesting to investigate the different parameters
which influence the CPU usage on the Touch with Tiny SC (when handling
a "large" collection of files), in order to understand why certain
users do not have any problem and others have constant re-buffering
problems.

Phil, could you please share the following information regarding your
standalone setup :
- The size, brand and model of your HDD
- The file format of your HDD (FAT32, NTFS, ...)
- The size of your music collection (in Gb)
- Do you use the Controller to operate the Touch ?
- Whatever other parameter you think could influence the CPU usage on
the Touch...

Here are the info about my own setup :
- 1.5 Tb d2 quadra LaCie HDD (with its own power supply), FAT32
formatted with Disk Utility on an iMac
- approximately 20,000 FLAC files (400 Gb used), including around 100
hi-res files

Here are my own findings, when using TinySC :
- Little re-buffering problem at the beginning of first tracks of
16/44.1 albums
- Slow update of the Touch display when going from one track to the
next
- Very very slow update of the Touch (and Controller) display and more
re-buffering problems when operating the Touch from the Controller
- Constant re-buffering problems when reading certain 24/96 files (I
tried those without the Controller of course !).

On the other hand, I have no problem when reading those 24/96 files on
the same HDD when it contains only a couple of albums.

(And I have none of the above problems when running SBS of my Mac
instead of using Tiny SC...)

--
rotho