Sorry to hear of your continuing problems. I can say I don't think it is
the size of your library. I set a touch up for my brother and he has
about 60,000 mp3 files in an attached USB drive and it has worked from
day one as expected.  I can't speak whether it would deal with 40,000
FLAC files ok or not. I have two touches and both work flawlessly with
over 60,000 files, mostly FLAC, but I am using SbS running 24/7 on my
home network computer (currently a vortexbox appliance).

In any case, it still sounds like you have a USB drive issue. It is
frustrating that many modern USB drives have too many bells and
whistles (hidden partitions, "smart" hibernation, etc.).  Can you
install SbS on your local computer and just try to run from this
instead of "tinySbS" in the TOUCH. Not that you have to leave it that
way, but it would at least confirm that the TOUCH works fine with an
external SbS.

I hear the frustration and hope you can get it worked out. When working
properly, these things are wonderful.

You did sorta end your note as if this was a message directly to
logitech. Note that this is a peer-to-peer user forum and is not
officially read by logitech. If you want to post where they do read,
you should post here:

http://forums.logitech.com/t5/Squeezebox-Players/bd-p/squeezeboxplayers

--
garym