Thanks for the help! Answers to your questions below:

The first most important question is, was TinySC completely finished
scanning the USB drive before you started using the Touch? Did you go
to Settings>Advanced>Squeezebox Server to see what the scanning was
doing (that it was finished)?

Yes, I let the scan complete before attempting any use of the touch. It
usually takes about 3 hours to do so. Final artwork scan completes 100%
before I do anything.

Have you tried using a USB Stick or Thumb drive with only music on it?
The answer from trying this should split the troubleshooting in half.
Meaning is it the Touch or the USB drive you're trying to use.

No, I have not attempted this. All I have is a 4gb thumb drive and I'm
not sure what this will accomplish.

What exact brand and model USB drives are you attempting to use?

I have tried these:
Seagate Freeagent Desk 9zc2ag-500 (1TB)
Seagate Freeagent Desktop 9nk2ae-500 (230GB)

How full are these drives IE are they more then 85% full (not 85% of
the listed size but the actual working space after formatting)?

Using about 160GB of space so that shouldn't be an issue.

Do these drives have the "act like a CD drive" function on them when
first pulled into a PC? If so that is a major problem.

I'm not sure what this is? I went into the seagate utility program and
didn't see anything like that.

Do you have other files on the drive besides Music?

No, I dedicated this HD just for the music files.

What format are your music files (MP3, FLAC, AAC)?

Mostly MP3 with some Flac mixed in.

How are the drives formated (EXT3, NTFS, FAT32)?

Fat32

Are these drives certified USB Standard drives?

Umm, not sure how to tell...

--
mrkd29