Hi Mark. A bunch of questions since your post was long with very little
actual information to help troubleshoot. On a side note, 160GB of music
is not a large library. The smallest USB drive I use with my Touch is my
320GB only containing my Favorites. I routinely use 1TB USB drives with
the Touch. BTW, any artwork over 600X600 is a bad thing for the Touch
in standalone mode or any that are under that but with hires meaning
large file sizes.

The first most important question is, was TinySC completely finished
scanning the USB drive before you started using the Touch? Did you go
to Settings>Advanced>Squeezebox Server to see what the scanning was
doing (that it was finished)?

Have you tried using a USB Stick or Thumb drive with only music on it?
The answer from trying this should split the troubleshooting in half.
Meaning is it the Touch or the USB drive you're trying to use.

What exact brand and model USB drives are you attempting to use?

How full are these drives IE are they more then 85% full (not 85% of
the listed size but the actual working space after formatting)?

Do these drives have the "act like a CD drive" function on them when
first pulled into a PC? If so that is a major problem.

Do you have other files on the drive besides Music?

What format are your music files (MP3, FLAC, AAC)?

How are the drives formated (EXT3, NTFS, FAT32)?

Are these drives certified USB Standard drives?

Answering these questions will help the Forum Members help you
troubleshoot the issue.

Lastly if its reliability you are looking for, one should run SBS on a
PC or Server. Don't get me wrong, I love and have been waiting for the
Touch option and use it daily. But if I am at home anyway, running SBS
on a dedicated Music Server is the way to go. More features, use of
plugins, more speed and processing power, and the ultimate in
reliability is ones reward for doing so.

--
iPhone

*iPhone*
Media Room:
Transporter, VTL TL-6.5 Signature Pre-Amp, Ayre MX-R Mono's, VeraStarr
6.4SE 6-channel Amp, Vandersteen Speakers: Quatro Wood Mains, VCC-5
Reference Center, four VSM-1 Signatures, Video: Runco RS 900 CineWide
AutoScope 2.35:1, Vandersteen V2W Subwoofer

Living Room:

Kitchen: Squeezebox BOOM
Bedroom: Squeezebox BOOM
Bathroom: Squeezebox Radio