Hello again Mark.

Using the USB Stick as I said splits the problem in half. Something
that I feel needs done (its the engineer in me, hate working on a
problem that is actually not the problem because nobody took the time
to rule out half of what could be causing the problem). We need to
eliminate your Touch as the problem. We can try a 1000 USB drives, but
if you have a defective Touch we are wasting our time. If the USB Stick
works, we can focus all our efforts on a drive issue.

BTW, it is my opinion that the Seagate FreeAgent is a poor choice for a
Touch USB Drive. But that is my experience with them, others might have
had better luck. I had to jump through all kinds of hoops to get my 2TB
FreeAgent to even work marginally with the Touch. Yes it worked, but not
just the simple create a Directory labeled Music, add files, attach to
Touch as with the Toshiba or WD MyBooks I have. The Seagate's seem way
to Green of a USB Drive to be attempting to use with the Touch IMO
(spin down, going to sleep, disconnecting from host, etc).

Three hours on which drive? It takes hardly any time to scan my 320 and
500GB Toshiba USB Drives. This is beginning to sound like a drive and
file issue.

As Phil said, I don't like two wireless hops either as it increases
resends and possible re-buffering. Any means to Ethernet that PC to the
Router? Also do you have an old PC not being used or really not needed
anymore? You could put Vortexbox on it, use it headless, Ethernet it to
the Router, move your music over to the Vortexbox, and you would be
done. The USB drive would become your backup drive.

I just put a 1.5TB drive in my better half's best friend's old extra
PC, installed Vortexbox, and used the USB drive she was attempting to
use as her backup drive.

--
iPhone

*iPhone*
Media Room:
Transporter, VTL TL-6.5 Signature Pre-Amp, Ayre MX-R Mono's, VeraStarr
6.4SE 6-channel Amp, Vandersteen Speakers: Quatro Wood Mains, VCC-5
Reference Center, four VSM-1 Signatures, Video: Runco RS 900 CineWide
AutoScope 2.35:1, Vandersteen V2W Subwoofer

Living Room:

Kitchen: Squeezebox BOOM
Bedroom: Squeezebox BOOM
Bathroom: Squeezebox Radio