soundcheck;602356 Wrote:
> Hi folks.
>
> Thx for the positive feedback first of all.
>
> Good to see that you like what you hear. ;)
>

> Just a comment:
>
> I havn't listened to a DAC which would be immune against incoming
> distortions caused  by a PC or similar device. (I'm running a SABRE
> 32DAC btw. - which is supposed to be able to handle incoming jitter
> quite well. Forget that - not under the conditions I am and many others
> are driving that or other devices).
> SPDIF for sure plays a very important role in that game. SPDIF comes
> with known limitations. It is a very sensitive interface.
> USB comes with different problems. Even those supposedly great
> asynchronous-USB-supposed-to-be-immune-against-everything-DACs do need
> an Amarra, Pure Music, J.River or similar for sounding best. Even if
> operated in bit-transparent mode. Even Ayre has written their own
> SW-playback software for OSX!
>
> A manufacturer who'd accomplish 100% immunity against distortions
> caused by a PC, will have a real good marketing message and selling
> argument. That's my guess.
>
> John Swensson AFAIK tried to and did slave his Touch to a DAC master
> clock.
> Slaving the transport will be a better approach of course. Though I'm
> sure he'll face other challenges to keep PC induced distortions out of
> his setup.
>
> Enjoy.

Except of course that in a normal Squeezebox setup (wi-fi or ethernet),
there is no electrical connectivity between the PC and the DAC... so
what is happening electrically on the PC makes no difference at all,
since all that is flowing to to the sb is IP Packets, which have no
timing/jitter, noise or distortion issues!

:-)

By the way have you ever tried a Benchmark or Lavry DAC? - I'm curious.

--
Phil Leigh

ain't what you'd call minimal...
Touch(wired/XP) - TACT 2.2X (Linear PSU) + Good Vibrations S/W - MF
Triplethreat(Audiocom full mods) - Linn 5103 - Aktiv 5.1 system (6x
LK140's, ESPEK/TRIKAN/KATAN/SEIZMIK 10.5), Pekin Tuner, Townsend
Supertweeters, Blue Jeans Digital,Kimber Speaker & Chord Interconnect
cables
Kitchen Boom, Outdoors: SB Radio, Harmony One remote for everything.