soundcheck;604493 Wrote:

> It seems to happen more than just setting that parameter. As soon as I
> set the parameter as petersw ( I made a reference to his proposal on my
> blog btw.), things are changing.

So thanks first for referencing peterw's post - this makes it possible
to at least know what your are doing.

In the end you just changed a single line in the sourcecode, did you
(the one suggested by peterw) ? Nothing deleted, nothing added, just
one simple line changed.
Instead of passing a variable (i.e. the internal volume value) that is
computed in the lines before (with and without your mod) you are
passing the hardcoded value of the maximum value.
This definitely won't affect any timing in the Touch.

> I'm and quite some other people just saying that the claim 100 is the
> same in terms of soundquality is not the same as having the control
> disabled the way petersw proposed.
>

> Do me a favor and figure out what else is happening, when setting that
> particular parameter. There must be more to it.

No - I think it's your (or everyone elses) turn to prove that 100 !=
100.
As I already wrote it's simple - as in the end the Touch is just a
simple computer so we can watch what values it processes internally
(which here is as easy as it can get).

If you turn on debugging yourself you can see what value is computed on
your Touch when you set volume to 100%. If it's anything else than 65536
than your change has a positive effect (as you indeed disabled any
change to the sourcematerial before it is passed to your DAC).
If not - then definitely not and it's good enough to just set the
volume to 100% with the volume slider.

If I read comments on your blog like the following:

> So my guess is right, the volume control was a purely digital one,
> simply compressing the dynamics? And probably re-calculating even at
> 100% the stream to get 100%...? That explains the important step
> forward! Thanks again for making our squeezeboxes better!

then I think people need to be told that with your latest mod the exact
same calculations still happen inside the Touch (just with the maximum
volume value) with or without your mod.

If you make them believe anything else I am calling that scam, I'm very
sorry.
And just to prove these harsh words: the actual volume is applied to
the stream in this source-code-file:
http://svn.slimdevices.com/jive/7.5/trunk/squeezeplay/src/squeezeplay/src/audio/decode/decode_alsa_backend.c?revision=8814&view=markup
(line 383,384,394,395)
You cannot change it on your Touch though because that part is compiled
into the binaries of the Touch.

--
bluegaspode

Big Screen for great Boxes available now at your AppStore: *'Squeezebox
+ iPad = SqueezePad ' (www.squeezepad.com)* - -now featuring streaming
to iPad!-
Want to see a Weather Forecast on your Radio/Touch/Controller ? => why
not try my 'Weather Forecast Applet'
(http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=73827)
Want to use the Headphones with your Controller ? => why not try my
'Headphone Switcher Applet'
(http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=67139)

Setup: 1x SB-Controller+Receiver (Duet), 1xSB-Boom. 2xSB-Radio
Server (7.5.1) running on SheevaPlug (Ubuntu) with attached Western
Digital MyBook Essential.