bluegaspode;604515 Wrote:
> So thanks first for referencing peterw's post - this makes it possible
> to at least know what your are doing.
>
> In the end you just changed a single line in the sourcecode, did you
> (the one suggested by peterw) ? Nothing deleted, nothing added, just
> one simple line changed.
> Instead of passing a variable (i.e. the internal volume value) that is
> computed in the lines before (with and without your mod) you are
> passing the hardcoded value of the maximum value.
> This definitely won't affect any timing in the Touch.
>

> No - I think it's your (or everyone elses) turn to prove that 100 !=
> 100.
> As I already wrote it's simple - as in the end the Touch is just a
> simple computer so we can watch what values it processes internally
> (which here is as easy as it can get).
>
> If you turn on debugging yourself you can see what value is computed on
> your Touch when you set volume to 100%. If it's anything else than 65536
> than your change has a positive effect (as you indeed disabled any
> change to the sourcematerial before it is passed to your DAC).
> If not - then definitely not and it's good enough to just set the
> volume to 100% with the volume slider.
>
> If I read comments on your blog like the following:
>
> then I think people need to be told that with your latest mod the exact
> same calculations still happen inside the Touch (just with the maximum
> volume value) with or without your mod.
>
> If you make them believe anything else I am calling that scam, I'm very
> sorry.
> And just to prove these harsh words: the actual volume is applied to
> the stream in this source-code-file:
> http://svn.slimdevices.com/jive/7.5/trunk/squeezeplay/src/squeezeplay/src/audio/decode/decode_alsa_backend.c?revision=8814&view=markup
> (line 383,384,394,395)
> You cannot change it on your Touch though because that part is compiled
> into the binaries of the Touch.

Yep. What can I say. you are the expert. You're probably right with all
what you say. It's that easy.

I will write a note on my block that all speculations about what's
causing the difference might be misleading.

Though as you can see. People are responding to it. Perhaps it just
works
in conjunction with the other mods. Who knows.

I don't have a clue.

And yes: I just change two parameters as proposed by Peter.

--
soundcheck

'soundcheck's Touch Toolbox 2.0'
(http://soundcheck-audio.blogspot.com/2011/01/soundchecks-squeezebox-touch-toolbox-20.html)