Hello,

I have another question regarding possible downsampling of 24/88.2 or
24/96 files by Squeezebox Touch or the server.

I have followed the forums so far, noting that with standard settings,
my hi res files will not be downsampled when I stream them to my SBT. I
also understand that even though this is not properly displayed in the
server when I stream a PCM stream, there is still no downsampling going
on, and I am happy with that.

Today, however, I noticed something strange.

I usually run the digital signal from SBT into my rDAC via SPDIF, which
allows for all kinds of high res format. I have not had a problem with
this.

There is, however, the option to connect via TOSLINK. TOSLINK on the
rDAC only accepts bitrates up to 48, so Hi res files should not play as
long as they are not altered.

However, when I connect my SBT via the optical output/Toslink to my
Arcam rDAC, it happily plays all my hi res files! This is not supposed
to happen as long as they are not downsampled.

Double check: Optical output from my MacBook Pro, 24/88.2 or 24/96
properly set, into my rDAC is not accepted by the DAC, the sync light
stays red and nothing is played. This is the expected behaviour.

So quite obviously, the SBT is outputting a downsampled or truncated
signal at this point. What is happening? Does this mean that there is
some kind of Toslink handshake going on where SBT determines that my
DAC cannot play higher resolution files and thus downsamples or
truncates the signal? Or does it mean (worse!) that my files are always
downsampled, and that this is even true for the SPDIF output which I
normally use? Have I been living with the illusion that I am listening
to Hi res files?

Thanks for any pointers,

Thomas

--