As I noted in my earlier post I use a 1 TB Toshiba Canvio Portable drive
directly attached to my Touch. It now has 16,900 FLAC files on it and
works fine. Logitech does not recommend a drive such as this because it
is not externally powered but it does work.  I would suggest that you
search the forums for people using a WD Elements drive to see what
results they have gotten. The major headache most people have had
appears to be related to the drive they are using. For whatever reason
some work fine and others do not. I may eventually set up a network for
increased speed and flexibility but for now the standalone setup I have
works fine. Keep in mind to leave a minimum of 10% free space on the
drive for TinySB to function.

Given that you have some Linux experience you are miles ahead of me in
expertise. I rip using EAC tag using Easytag or Mp3Tag. I search by
artist, then album and then play music. Works great.

If you want to do more, ask more specific questions and perhaps someone
can help answer them. Again, research your drive choice as it is
critical.

--
dasmueller