vzs;602169 Wrote:
> Regarding letting things in standby mode: I'm not that concerned about
> those few watts consumed but once a thunderstruck in the flat I'm
> living burned my whole PC setup :( Nevertheless was my fault as I
> haven't used any over voltage protection but since then I don't leave
> things on stand-by.
If you don't have surge protection then the only protection from a
lightning strike is to unplug the device from the mains, or to switch
it off at the mains via power strip or via the on/off switch that is
integrated with the electrical outlets in some countries. An electrical
surge doesn't care whether the equipment is on, in standby, or fully
off.

--
aubuti