Sosh;593296 Wrote:
> That's unfortunate - I don't like leaving things on in standby when I'm
> not using them. (presumably the drive also has to stay on?)

Yes, the drive has to stay on, but the Toshiba HDD spins down and go in
very low power mode (it's a laptop drive).

vzs;601902 Wrote:
> 1. I neither like to let things under power

I'm like you. That's exactly why I selected the Touch and spent to much
time making sure the Touch would work with an external HDD.

I have an old hi-fi system from the 90s, 4 elements including radio, CD
and dual cassete (those were the time). When the system is "OFF" (just
displaying the clock), it's consuming a few watts (measured with a
power meter). The Touch and the HDD that replaced it are actually
consuming almost the same amount of power when in standby. I have PCS,
monitors and Ethernet switches that are individually consuming more
standby power than the Touch and the HDD. Actually, the Ethernet switch
the Touch is connected to has a higher standby power consumption, but
I'm planning to replace it with a Green model eventually.

In other word, IMHO, both the Touch and the HDD have ridiculously low
standby power consumption for what they do, so I would not worry about
it.

Moreover, I've now added a SqueezeBox Radio in my house which connect
to the TinySB on the Touch, which is one more reason for the Touch to
stay on all the time. I can tell you that it's very convenient to be
able to start listening to the radio without having to go to the other
side of the house to switch on the Touch.

vzs;601902 Wrote:
> While listening to music only I shut down my noisy pc and if the
> internet goes down then my USB HDD streamed music just stops :( This
> behavior drives me crazy.

I don't understand why the Internet would go down if you switch off
your PC. Your router must be broken. What kind of router it is ? I'm
personally using a Linksys WRT54GL that is cheap, works well, and
accept alternative firmwares.

Regards,

Jean

--