pippin;654357 Wrote:
> I didn't introduce religion, I said it's a religious discussion and
> that's what it is and why I actually wanted to stay out of it. Have a
> look at other threads in this or the audiophile forum if you don't
> believe it. I wanted to stay out of this, I just say that I don't
> believe there is a difference and I have good reason to do so but if
> others believe it, they may as well tinker with it.
>
> I just wanted to make clear that these kind of issues are what you have
> to expect if you do things like that.
>
> Apart from that, there are threads on this forum which DO suggest that
> the network settings on the server do have an effect and since you
> mentioned that
>
> I assumed you did that, too, for sake of SQ,I was probably wrong with
> that assumption.
>
> It was not about tinkering but I wanted to add the advice that if you
> run into trouble,go for the default settings first.
>

> It has also been suggested elsewhere that running your server under
> Windows instead of Linux or using special SATA cables in your server
> setup will improve SQ. There are a lot of things that are being
> suggested and you will always find a lot of people who hear "dramatic"
> differences in SQ once they apply these. Good for them. Even better for
> certain vendors.

This is getting out of hand.  I will leave a few comments and then ask
the sound quality topic be left to rest in this thread.  All I was
trying to do was to help people use Windows tools to see what might be
going on when they have problems.

If you say it is a 'religious' discussion, that's about 'religion'.
Best to find different terms or 'religious' people may get upset.

Network settings can cause, and prevent, re-buffering, stuttering and
crackling.  Not sound quality exactly, but certainly real and annoying
effects.

--
PasTim

Server on Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit, 2 CPU, 2GHz, 4GB, FLAC files. Touch
on Ethernet (in another room).  Analogue out over 'a bit of wire' to
ageing Quad Hi-Fi. An old (wireless) laptop controls the server using
Chrome.