There is one generally valid recommendation with computer systems these
days:

If you've got problems, DON'T TRY TO TWEAK YOUR SYSTEM.

In most cases, defaults are the best solution and messing around will
not improve anything but make it worse.

Yours is a typical case: I know it's a religious discussion about
whether it will improve your SQ to decode FLAC on the PC but knowing
the Touch a bit I will never believe it does until I hear it which I
don't.
And fiddling with network settings on the PC attached to a distributed
network (as opposed to just a straight cable into the Touch) WILL NOT
alter your SQ, no matter what people tell you. It just won't. Under no
circumstances. Never. Period.

So what you did was two modifications to improve sound quality that
brought you a lot of trouble with zero (or little) benefit.

--
pippin

---
see iPeng, the Squeezebox iPhone remote and
*New: iPeng for iPad*, at penguinlovesmusic.com