pippin;654256 Wrote:

> Yours is a typical case: I know it's a religious discussion about
> whether it will improve your SQ to decode FLAC on the PC but knowing
> the Touch a bit I will never believe it does until I hear it which I
> don't.
> And fiddling with network settings on the PC attached to a distributed
> network (as opposed to just a straight cable into the Touch) WILL NOT
> alter your SQ, no matter what people tell you. It just won't. Under no
> circumstances. Never. Period.
>
> So what you did was two modifications to improve sound quality that
> brought you a lot of trouble with zero (or little) benefit.

Who introduced religion? I never suggested the sound quality would be
improved by tweaking network settings, not did anyone on this thread as
far as I can see.  I did say you could get transmission problems, and
some people do, even with default settings.

I was interested to try and resolve problems I had, and reported what I
found, thinking other people might be interested.  Sure, if you don't
like tinkering, don't, but some do, and some have to.

It has been suggested elsewhere that reducing the load on the Touch can
improve the sound quality, and the effect of transmitting PCM rather
than FLAC is measurable (using ADM).  Whether one can hear a difference
is a different matter.  That's not the topic of this thread.

--
PasTim

Server on Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit, 2 CPU, 2GHz, 4GB, FLAC files. Touch
on Ethernet (in another room).  Analogue out over 'a bit of wire' to
ageing Quad Hi-Fi. An old (wireless) laptop controls the server using
Chrome.