Thanks a lot for the tips, folks... I managed to make it work!

After figuring out that the SetupFirmwareUpgrade applet was
corrupted/crippled in the factory image (either intentionally or
unintentionally - but I would think it's the former if this was indeed
a beta test version of the player), I replaced this applet's scripts in
the jive folder with a much older release (r3465) from the 7.4 trunk. I
couldn't find r5588 in the source tree, probably because it was a test
release.

Anyway, after this simple hack I just rebooted the Touch, and it
successfully downloaded the latest firmware from the sb.com server and
installed it. Everything is working now as it should in a commercial
version. The firmware upgrade also fixed the server connectivity issue
I encountered earlier.

So, thanks again to those who helped!:)

--
Rumpax