Yes, I confirm the default firmware in the Touch is a beta version! I
can see comments and todo's/bug ID's all over the code.

By the way, I am not able to find the hardware version displayed
anywhere in the "Diagnostics" menu or "About.." menu. But I found the
following in the log. Does it say anything?

Code:
--------------------

  Jan  1 04:29:16 SqueezeboxTouch syslog.info syslogd started: BusyBox v1.13.3
  Jan  1 04:29:16 SqueezeboxTouch user.notice kernel: klogd started: BusyBox
v1.13.3 (2009-04-24 11:10:58 PDT)
  Jan  1 04:29:16 SqueezeboxTouch user.notice kernel: Linux version
2.6.24-332-g5849bfa (parabuild@x86-ubuntu-build) (gcc version 4.2.3) #1 PREEMPT
Fri May 1 05:49:08 PDT 2009
  Jan  1 04:29:16 SqueezeboxTouch user.warn kernel: CPU: ARMv6-compatible
processor [4117b363] revision 3 (ARMv6TEJ), cr=00c5387f
  Jan  1 04:29:16 SqueezeboxTouch user.warn kernel: Machine: Logitech Fab4 Board

--------------------

Yes, the version of the fw I tried to install from the USB drive
(formatted FAT with no subdirectories) was fab4_7.6.1_r9486.bin, but I
had renamed it as fab4.bin on the USB.

In fact I just noticed the following code in DiagnosticsApplet.lua
under the jive applets folder, and this is probably why the "Software
Update" option under "Diagnostics" doesn't work even with the USB
mounted:

Code:
--------------------

        menu:addItem({
                text = self:string("SOFTWARE_UPDATE"),
                style = 'item',
                callback = function ()
                        --todo: this does setup style FW upgrade only (since
this menu is avilable from setup).  When we want different support for a
non-setup version, make sure to leave the setup style behavior
                        appletManager:callService("firmwareUpgrade", nil, true)
                end
        })

--------------------

But I have yet to figure out where the "menu from setup is" and what
the comment actually means. I certainly don't see it even when I do a
factory reset... but the reason may be this:

I noticed the following in the log, and then discovered that
SetupFirmwareUpgrade*.lua and Upgrade*.lua file are empty (ie, code
removed.. replaced with a long line of spaces - very smart!) in the
applets/SetupFirmwareUpgrade folder. Same for SetupFactoryReset and
SetupDatetime applet folder. This is probably why it doesnt do the
auto-update!

Code:
--------------------

  Jan  1 04:29:21 SqueezeboxTouch user.err jive: (AppletManager.lua:225) -
Error while loading meta for
SetupDateTime:/usr/share/jive/jive/AppletManager.lua:193: error loading meta
`SetupDateTime' (/usr/share/jive/applets/SetupDateTime/SetupDateTimeMeta.lua:1:
unexpected symbol
  Jan  1 04:29:21 SqueezeboxTouch user.err kernel: cramfs: bad compressed
blocksize 4280805903
  Jan  1 04:29:21 SqueezeboxTouch user.err jive: (AppletManager.lua:225) -
Error while loading meta for
SetupFactoryReset:/usr/share/jive/jive/AppletManager.lua:193: error loading
meta `SetupFactoryReset'
(/usr/share/jive/applets/SetupFactoryReset/SetupFactoryResetMeta.lua:1: u
  Jan  1 04:29:21 SqueezeboxTouch user.err kernel: cramfs: bad compressed
blocksize 4280800339
  Jan  1 04:29:21 SqueezeboxTouch user.err jive: (AppletManager.lua:225) -
Error while loading meta for
SetupFirmwareUpgrade:/usr/share/jive/jive/AppletManager.lua:193: error loading
meta `SetupFirmwareUpgrade'
(...usr/share/jive/applets/SetupFirmwareUpgrade/SetupFirmwareUpgrad
  Jan  1 04:29:21 SqueezeboxTouch user.err kernel: cramfs: bad compressed
blocksize 4280782843

--------------------

Anyone knows where I can find the default scripts from around this
version? Is the source tree available somewhere?

BTW, I also noticed the following in the log. During startup, the
player actually recognizes that it requires a fw update and correctly
identifies the .bin file on the SB server... but nothing happens after
that. Any ideas - probably because of the deleted applet scripts
above?

Code:
--------------------

  Jan  1 04:30:15 SqueezeboxTouch user.info jive: (Player.lua:367) -
LocalPlayer {Squeezebox Touch} new for SlimServer {mysqueezebox.com}
  Jan  1 04:30:15 SqueezeboxTouch user.info jive: (NetworkThread.lua:256) -
NOTIFY: playerNew(LocalPlayer {Squeezebox Touch})
  Jan  1 04:30:15 SqueezeboxTouch user.info jive: (NetworkThread.lua:256) -
NOTIFY: playerNeedsUpgrade(LocalPlayer {Squeezebox Touch}, false, false)
  Jan  1 04:30:15 SqueezeboxTouch user.info jive: (NetworkThread.lua:256) -
NOTIFY: playerPower(LocalPlayer {Squeezebox Touch}, true)
  Jan  1 04:30:15 SqueezeboxTouch user.info jive: (NetworkThread.lua:256) -
NOTIFY: playerConnected(LocalPlayer {Squeezebox Touch})
  Jan  1 04:30:15 SqueezeboxTouch user.info jive: (SlimDiscoveryApplet.lua:406)
- playerConnected
  Jan  1 04:30:15 SqueezeboxTouch user.info jive: (NetworkThread.lua:256) -
NOTIFY: serverLinked(SlimServer {mysqueezebox.com})
  Jan  1 04:30:15 SqueezeboxTouch user.info jive: (SlimServer.lua:248) -
Firmware
URL=http://update.slimdevices.com/update/firmware/7.6.1/fab4_7.6.1_r9486.bin
  Jan  1 04:30:15 SqueezeboxTouch user.info jive: (SlimServer.lua:249) -
Firmware force upgrade=true
  Jan  1 04:30:15 SqueezeboxTouch user.info jive: (NetworkThread.lua:256) -
NOTIFY: firmwareAvailable(SlimServer {mysqueezebox.com})

--------------------

Another potentially interesting thing I found in Firmware.pm under
Slim/Utils folder - haven't figured out whether it has any
implications. I dont see fab4 listed in here, but I noticed that this
list is checked in a few places for valid models.

Code:
--------------------

  # Models to download firmware for
  my @models = qw( squeezebox squeezebox2 transporter boom receiver );

--------------------

Suggestions/ideas on any of the above?

(BTW, if anyone from Logitech is looking at this thread with concern...
I fully understand that this is an old beta version of the product and
this is not how the Touch is intended to be used! I am new to SB
products - this is my first sb player - so I am trying to figure this
thing out and learning heck of a lot in that process, and I will try
and share if I find out anything that is potentially interesting to
those technically inclined users here..)

--
Rumpax