Hi,

I think it's time for a quick update...

A few weeks ago, I updated to 7.6.1. I had terrible time with the
initial full scan, and it took me many server restart to get through
the full scan. I commented on my experience here :

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?p=652049#post652049

After that initial painful experience, 7.6.1 ended up to be much more
enjoyable than 7.5.4. The navigation though the database feels
definitely faster than 7.5.4, and when I start playing track the song
info and artwork take much less time to appear. Partial scans worked
without a glitch. Some features like search and player synchronisation
that I never managed to make work in 7.5.4 are now working properly,
and I must admit I'm now using synchronisation a lot. I could not be
more pleased.

Yesterday, I've upgraded to 7.7 (TinyLMS ?). The upgrade was very
smooth. After rebooting to 7.7, it decided to rescan my music from
scratch (full scan - 8k tracks). The scan went through without a glitch
first time, I did not time it but it took probably around 25 minutes.
And TinyLMS is now working beautifully.

One reason the scan may have succeeded first time with 7.7 may be that
in the mean time, I've disabled Samba (export Windows share), and that
may have freed up enough memory to make a difference. However, the scan
code has definitely changed between 7.6.1 and 7.7, as we now have nice
scan progress messages on the screen, similar to they way they were in
7.5.4 and earlier, instead of the weird upper-case strings in 7.6.1. I
must admit I did not retry another full scan with 7.7. So, I can't be
sure what made the difference, but I suspect 7.7 is better... Anyway,
people having problem with the scan may want to check if disabling disk
sharing helps.

>From my very limited testing, it looks like 7.7 behaves as good 7.6.1,
with fixes to the scanner. I would personally recommend TinySB users to
upgrade to 7.7, because to me it has the best of 7.6.1 and 7.5.4.

Have fun...

Jean

--
jean2