I'm yet another optimist who wants to run 16,000 FLAC files off an
attached USB drive. Don't want to run another PC or even a NAS for many
of the same reasons that others have already stated.  And it almost
works, almost.  I have a Seagate HDD that's been very good otherwise.
TinySB takes a very long time to scan it, but then poops out.
Sometimes a few tracks will show up, sometimes not, or the server
crashes.  I've cleaned and rescanned a few time to no avail.

So at the moment I'm running SB server on a PC and not using the USB
drive.  But like many here I would really love a stand alone player
that also has Internet radio, Pandora, etc.

I will reformat the drive to FAT32 (it's NTFS now) and clean up any cue
or other odd files.  I do embed my art in the music tracks, so we'll see
if that works.

Add to my optimism the fact that I want to control the touch from my
laptop and either a web interface or ideally JRiver Media Player and it
all becomes a real challenge.  Will let you know how I get on.

--
Mr. Tuesdays