MWelschenbach;696794 Wrote:
> I observe the frequency alternating between 96005 and 96006 Hz or
> between 192010 and 192011 Hz respectively about every second, sometimes
> even two or three seconds. Is this as it is supposed to be?

Yes it should alter as it's a feedback mechanism - this is what "async"
usb is all about.  The dac tells the transport how fast to go and the
transport changes its rate as told.  The critical thing is that the
crystals in dac and player will be at slightly different frequencies.
There is a buffer in the dac, so all that is required is that the dac
tells the transport to slow down or speed up to keep the buffer half
full - this is what is happening with the different rates you see.  The
fact it is changing means it is working in async mode.

It's interesting how different dac manufacturers have implemented these
changes differently - my audiolab for instance alters the frequency by
100Hz or more between the go faster and go slower message.  Your dac
appears do adjust on a more fine grain manner.  However the bit that
matters is that it is updating.

--
Triode