Sounds like progress!

I'm using the Audio Widget DIY DAC:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digital-source/185761-open-source-usb-interface-audio-widget.html
.. so not expecting many others to have the same.

The plugin detects it and plays common 16/44 flac files without issue.
When I try to play a 24/96 flac file, it either stays silent and later
crashes the SB or crashes it immediately (hang and reboot).

My DAC works well on a recent desktop linux system but I have to select
32-bit to get it to play 24-bit files - for some reason it doesn't
recognise the 24-bit data modes.   I have Audacious audio player set to
32-bit, and at that point as far as I can tell from looking at
/proc/asound all files are played by the DAC at native bitrate.   I've
not had a change to poke around on the SB but I'm guessing it tries to
send 24-bit files to the USB audio device in a 24-bit mode, whereas for
my dac to work well I'd want it to permanently use 32-bit regardless of
the file/stream.   If my limited understanding is correct, this would
still be 'lossless' unlike say sending a 44kHz file as 192kHz.