mlsstl wrote:
> This aspect of the Touch falls into the "no good deed goes unpunished"
> category.

Yea and it is also a cath22 .

Given the limited dev resources spent , they choose to reuse the exact
same server that is made to scale on both PC's and more powerfull NAS
boxes .
But turning of the most memory hogging functions .

And the player code can be exactly the same whether you use an external
server mysqueezebox.com or the internal server .

But that server code may not be the most effective on such a device .
But there be no onboard server if done in another way ?

The whole architecture is a small embedded Linux OS (called squeezeOS )
so the whole development leans on the fact that it uses a lot of
inherited free stuff from linux and this saves money and resources and
also makes it tweak-able by third party developers .
And the firmware is continusly upgraded (yes it was even worse before )

I can look at my silly cowon mp3 player I use at gym , it works with a
flea size cpu ,but is completely unflexible and stupid .

The playlist limit is due another inheritance from the big server .

A playlist is not simply a list of files in LMS it seems to be a complex
database operation of some kind ?
When you run the playlist you can se that there is cover art for every
track and all sorts of info readily avaible ,not only of the currently
avaible track .
Really large playlists can even tax a more powerfull server ? i would
recomend no more than 2000 tracks per GHz and cpu core default setting
is 500 .
Just try to hit "shuffle" a couple of times in a row .
So LMS in general is in dire need of better playlist handling overall
,but you reach the point of where it not works at all on the Touch .

Another consequence is that the server must work on the Touch as long as
it is supported ,this could hamper the server development in the future
?

The old slim-device vs powerful server had merits