aubuti wrote:
> Maybe this is sacrilege, or asking about the elephant in the room, but
> why is it you want a SB at work, especially when you're not allowed to
> run a server? Do you have a really nice audio system at work?
>
> It may sound rather Luddite, but why not hook up the external drive to
> your pc and play the music on it using whatever audio playback software
> you prefer. Get some decent self-amplified speakers and you're good to
> go. And you can probably find a good place for the Touch at home, where
> the network admin is more flexible. Just an idea.

Hi there, two reasons:

1.) We are issued Lenovo laptops. This particular model has absolutely
WRETCHED audio performance. I'm not talking about being picky because we
are all grumpy audiophiles. I mean it's like listening to a marginal FM
station.
2.) I came into a Benchmark DAC1-PRE.

Quite a few of us here have desktop amps.