stop-spinning wrote:
> Excellent John, so in summary, a good example of an async USB DAC is the
> MDAC, therefore with the well engineered MDAC, there is no need for an
> intermediate re-clocker (or any form of clock upgrade), simply because
> the MDAC is one example of a well implemented async USB DAC, is that
> right?

Correct, A very well done async USB DAC should make clocking issues in
the Touch irrelevant, but as I said nobody has actually tried to
optimize the clock that drives the USB bus so we don't know for sure.
Indications are that such a DAC is fairly immune to small jitter on the
bits (which is what a clock change would affect), Many USB DACs DO seem
to have some degree of susceptibility to gross packet timing differences
(controlled by software settings), some to a fairly large degree and
others to a much smaller degree, I don't have a MDAC so I can't tell you
where it lies. But these are not hardware changes, they are purely
software.

When people talk about "reclockers" they are usually referring to boxes
that take in a S/PDIF signal, run it through a good PLL, regenerate a
S/PDIF stream with the clock from the PLL. This only works for S/PDIF.

There are no "reclockers" for USB, there are some devices which perform
isolation (but only for full speed, not high speed) and these actually
ARE reclockers, but the internal clock is WAY WAY worse than anything
you are going to find in a computer, they actually add a TON of jitter
to the USB bus!

John