misstl, I believe you are technically correct about static addresses.
But my router (I think this is not uncommon) allows me to reserve a
specific address for a specific device, which has the same effect as
setting the address in the device itself.

I will call Logitech at some point, but people here are often more
helpful than official channels. It could be a failure in the device, but
I suspect something silly that I have done or omitted.

Mnyb, actually it seems that showing the address as the address assigned
by my ISP is correct. I tried my working Squeezebox Classic, set it to
my squeezebox.com instead of the local server and it came up with the
same address. I guess it reads the address from a server (local or at
mysb) and I was expecting it to read it directly.

There's no separate modem involved, here in England most devices are
combined moem/routers. I have tried restarting the router with no
success, but I think I need to try disconnecting it from the phone line,
and then resetting the SB to factory.