danco wrote:
> misstl, I believe you are technically correct about static addresses.
> But my router (I think this is not uncommon) allows me to reserve a
> specific address for a specific device, which has the same effect as
> setting the address in the device itself.

respectfully, this is not the same. With a reserved address in router,
the SB player is still using the DHCP function of the router (albeit
getting the exact same IP address each time). With a true static IP
(along with assigned subnet, gateway, dns) the DHCP function of the
router is not being used at all. In fact, even if DHCP turned OFF in the
router, the SB player will still get an IP address, connect to internet,
etc.  (This said, I also realize that most people do NOT use fixed IP
addresses and have NO problems)