danco wrote:

> I'm beginning to think the Touch actually has problems. I can be
> obsessive, so I tried another modem even though I'm nearly asleep. I
> think, though this may be just tiredness, that despite a factory reset
> the Touch was insisting that its ethernet address was 192.168.0.11 even
> though the other modem was at 192.168.1.1 (not 192.168.0.1 of my usual
> modem) and showing the Touch connected with an address of 192.168.1.3.
> I'll try this again in the daytime.

That somehow suggests to me that IP settings are still not fully OK with
your setup.
For maximum safety I would suggest to give IP settings to everything
manually, e.g. not using DCHP.
The settings, including to set the Default Gateway and DHCP settings,
are also must be done in the router as well. And everything should be in
the same subnet.

So to conclude things, the same example of mine again with extended
infos, this is a manual settings example:

1. At the router:
- Make sure it has IP 192.168.0.1 inside, and Mask is 255.255.255.0
- Disable the DHCP server in the router! (Only in case of manual IP
settings)
- Enter 192.168.0.1 for the internal Default Gateway in router.

2. Touch:
- Select manual settings
- IP: 192.168.0.40
- Mask: 255.255.255.0
- Default Gateway: 192.168.0.1
- DNS: 192.168.0.1 (although this should work also with the external DNS
provided by ISP).

3. The server running LMS:
- Select manual settings
- IP: 192.168.0.80
- Mask: 255.255.255.0
- Default Gateway: 192.168.0.1
- DNS: 192.168.0.1 (although this should work also with the external DNS
provided by ISP).

What is important they all should be in same subnet, and the DHCP
setting should match.

In case some using not manual, but DHCP, then in the router the DHCP
settings must be done correctly, i.e. a range is suggested to be
specified, with start IP and end IP , so that client chooses them from a
given subnet. There can be Ip reservation settings also to clients in
that case.

Then firewall should be turned off until testing.

Finally a comment. While SB Classic automatically wanted to connect to
LMS, it seems the Touch is not necesseraly! Because the Touch can also
work in standalone mode, without LMS. Hence, for the Touch, you NEED to
go into My Music and try to play music from LMS. Otherwise maybe Touch
is not doing anything, and is not detected if meanwhile the settings are
OK.

On the other hand, it's also true, once you tried to connect, then Touch
keeps to connecting attempts. Then , after let's say restoring the
firewall on LMS machine, then Touch will connect in some seconds.I told
this to make sure that you actually try to connect, when you make the
test cases. :)