dufferdan wrote:
> It sounds to me like you are using the volume control on the Touch to
> control the volume from your amp. Is this correct? If so, I would look
> to set the volume control on the Touch at 100% and play it through the
> pre-amp, using that as a volume control. Because the Touch has digital
> volume, not analogue, it reduces signal, which may compress it somewhat.
>

> Also, it seems to me you don't have much of a baseline for comparison as
> you bought the speakers unheard. Buying solely on reviews without a
> listening session would mean you are flying blind when judging the Touch
> as a source. All speakers sound different and have different qualities
> and tonal variations. Ie a Cerwin Vega sounds completely different from
> a B&W, yet both can be highly rated in their own
>
> . Have fun experimenting though.

re the digital volume:  for normal listening sessions I control my
volume via the SB digital volume for ease of use (which is implemented
very well by the way, because of the way SB is using information in the
24 bit stream for volume adjustment, so for 16 bit music there is
essentially room for adjustment without loss of bits**). I just keep the
digital volume at 75 or higher. Too low on the digital volume can
certainly affect SQ.  But as noted, for serious listening sessions one
should set the SB player volume to 100% and then do all adjustments via
the preamp volume.

**, for example see
http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?85691-Volume-ReplayGain-amp-Crossfade-effect-on-sound-quality&p=611510&viewfull=1#post611510