Hi,

our current installation on Gentoo Linux was done by the linux distribution
package manager installing the core Trac, and creating an .egg for each of
the plugins manually, copying the .egg to the $PROJECTDIR/plugins.

Updates of the Trac version are always behind in the package manager and I
started to create my own packages for there.
Updating the addons required to 'git pull' every single plugin to see if
there are changes and update the .egg.

I learned how to install local python libraries inside the ~trac/ home
directory like

pip2.7 install --user xhtml2pdf

and how to make uwsgi use that:

# cat /etc/uwsgi.d/trac-pp.ini
[uwsgi]
plugins = python27
chown-socket = trac:nginx
uid = trac
gid = trac
workers = 6
socket = /run/uwsgi/%n.sock

env = TRAC_ENV=/mnt/data/trac/projects/trac-pp
env = PYTHON_EGG_CACHE=/mnt/data/trac/.python-eggs
module = trac.web.main
callable = dispatch_request

pythonpath = /mnt/data/trac/.local/lib64/python2.7/site-packages

Now migrating from Trac-1.2.3 to Trac-1.4.x I checked the Installation
guide about pip and see, all the Trac releases are there and also lot of
the plugins.
Is it a good idea to move all the Trac installation towards using pip and
install into ~trac/ home? How would I check all user packages for updates,
how would I update all?

About Python-2.7. There is still the requirement of version ≥ 2.7 and <
3.0, which currently is 2.7.16 here on Gentoo stable. How long? Even pip2.7
warns about "Python 2.7 will reach the end of its life on January 1st,
2020".

Best regards.