> the new software will be licensed under Apache 2.0.

It's a shame they are moving away from copyleft altogether. Technical superiority is perhaps one of the largest reasons why people use free software (sadly). Copyleft is pragmatic idealism - it means someone can't just take free software and trick users into using a proprietary derivative. Mac OSX and iOS, Windows TCP/IP networking, and Google Chrome are good examples of proprietary software that came as a result of permissive licensed software.

The good thing about the Apache license is that it is (obviously) still free software, and freely available to anyone who wants freedom. People who are capable of running their own server are perhaps more likely to value their freedom over technical superiority.

I don't use any form of social networking, but decentralised social networking is definitely better. As I understand it, I can easily run my own StatusNet or OStatus-compatible server and communicate with people using identi.ca, pump.io or another OStatus-enabled site. It still definitely beats Twitter, Facebook and other centralised networks.