Hello there!

I'm a developer who's been doing a lot of work on my own fork of StatusNet, https://freesocial.org/ (see http://www.ohloh.net/p/freesocial for dev-stuff)

As may have been pointed out, but deserves repetition, is that this is the Status.net _service_ being migrated to that company's new software project (the company is changing forms as well).

Despite this, of course StatusNet software source code will still remain free, available and working from code repositories. And it is definitely not the end of free social networking. Other than this, there are several projects working with the open protocol OStatus for federated social networking.

Also - last but not least - GNU Social (essentially the same codebase as StatusNet) is still very much alive! It is an FSF endorsed social networking project and has had a recent boost of encouragement in the mailing lists (much as a result from the Status.net thing):
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/social/2012-12/msg00043.html

And I know that I personally prefer many of the design decisions, both code and license related, in the GNU Social project as opposed to Pump.io.