tegskywalker writes:

> I recently read a story at …about how the owner of StatusNet is
> ceasing development of the software and that the existing Identi.ca
> accounts will be migrated over to their new platform, Pump.io.

Here is the official source. [1] One of the comments of an anonymous
user reads:

"we will be doing an account registration freeze before deploying the
new major version, and drop unused accounts in the process"

To which Even Prodromou seems to agree:

"THANK YOU for the succinct summary Probably the big thing that's
different is that pump.io is much smaller and simpler than
StatusNet. I'm trying to push some features out to the edge."

> When I was looking for top software that used the Affero GPLv3
> license, StatusNet was one I could count on one hand and now that is
> being phased out.

The source code is still available and free software. There might be a
fork. Don't forget that most free software licenses have the clause
"without any warranty". ;)

> Maybe people like the StatusNet owner see the Apache license as a way
> to get more corporate support and put more money into his company,
> e14n.

There is nothing wrong with getting more money. It depends on the means
by which you achieve it. It will still be free software. The Apache 2.0
license is not as strict as the AGPL, so the public relies on the good
intentions of the authors of the software released under the Apache 2.0
license.

> What will you do when Identi.ca goes away? Are you going to use
> Pump.io instead?

The option to run your own node still exists. There are other services
and free software that support the oStatus federation protocol that I've
heard about, but haven't tested.

Simply put, the main developer of a software package stops developing
and supporting it, and starts a new one from scratch. The package could
live on, but it depends on the public (users). After all that is one of the
reasons why free software licenses exist. Somebody might fork it or
continue develop it.

[1]
http://status.net/2012/12/18/upcoming-changes-in-the-status-net-service