"Either it's free or it isn't. "

That's a silly statement in our current digital situation.
Almost no one here runs a computer with -literally- 100% free software.
Even Gluglug and the Lemote contain some non-free firmware as far as I know (harddrive or stuff like that). According to you, we should stop endorsing the evil non-free thinkpinguin notebooks. Sure, just the bios is non-free, but "either it's free or it isn't", right?

Many people make compromises in their lives, and we shouldn't blame them for it. The most important thing is that they try and value freedom and privacy - maybe not the highest, but anyway.