I think you have to ask this question: Should we even accept copyright in the first place? It's taking away what is otherwise peoples rights to free expression. The justification for copyright was the benefit of the arts and sciences. However it was always intended to be "limited". That was originally 7 years. Now I don't see how you can argue that today those original claims hold true. It's not a "limited right" (it's an extreme length of time which means nothing you write today will likely ever be in the public domain in your lifetime- short of someone explicitly putting it there- or government works).

I think it's also utterly ridicules to try and enforce copyright in the environment that exists today. It's a fruitless battle that can only destroy the democratic institution. I don't think you can justify censorship and copyright as the cost of freedom. Yet this is what is going on.

The internet is global and the world doesn't agree on copyright no matter how much the entertainment industry wants to argue otherwise. There are international agreements on copyright, but it's far from globally enforced. There are dozens of countries which have sign none of the half dozen international agreements in the last 150 years.

Where has copyright led us? It has led to censorship, violence against the people, and unjustly benefited a small minority of absurdly rich individuals. I don't think the elimination of copyright would necessarily be a bad thing. The people doing the core work are not the ones benefiting from it, and I'm coming at this from a perspective of being one of the people who have benefits financially from my own creative works. It didn't take digital restrictions, threats, or violence to profit off my labor. All it took was merely a sane business model.

For example an author producing creative works can provide there works via subscription. Those works may get copied, but the end result is those who want those works *now* and continued access to new works from the same author need to subscribe.

There are other totally doable models as well. The news industry survived off advertising for the last 100 years. While it may be a failing industry today it's not because of copyright infringement. It's because the newspapers have failed to adapt to the ever changing environment and competition from other outlets utilizing the advertising model.

There are certainly successful news outlets now that are even specialized and successful. One need only look around. One such example is: torrentfreak.com. While small they put out a consistent 2-3 articles a day on a topic that attracts a niche readership. If they can succeed with a niche certainly others can too with a wider audience.