"I think it may just be the only justifiable case for copyright today would be those distributing content under copyleft licenses. These works truly are for the benefit of all."

Indeed, and I think that any discussion of ending copyright needs to be paired with a discussion of how copyleft would continue to function without it. Some ideas for that were discussed in an episode of Free as in Freedom, with our very own free software people Karen Sandler and Bradley Kuhn: http://faif.us/cast/2014/jun/03/0x46/

Fast forward to exactly 1 hour, zero minutes, and 30 seconds in to hear what I'm referring to.

As you can hear, it's not very easy.