Now you know why people don't use "free software" and instead use "open source" because it confuses between free as in price and free as in freedom. Maybe from now on, I should just use libre so you guys can stop twisting my words. :-)

I always meant free as in "freedom" and in relation to the assets, I meant that the assets don't have to be free (once again as in freedom) and not "gratis" as in giving it away. But if these assets are free as in freedom, they will find their way to be free as in "gratis" if people want to distribute your work even if you want them to pay for it. That is why I was pondering solutions in keeping the artwork locked down so the artists and programmers behind a free (as in freedom) game can get compensated in some way for their work.