I'm not talking about a MMORPG, I'm talking about "Bill's PC"==Cloud Storage for Pokemon and if you have your own private server, you use your own cloud to store your Pokemon. But, yeah, they could make an engine that "just so happens to be compatible with Pokemon Roms". Be it with a rom scan or an importer that converts the blob assets in the rom to something that's compatible with the Free Engine or whatever and I guess you could use that engine to make a non-pokemon clone. It could be like a DnD clone. There's already a pokemon clone, but it's not free. https://steamcommunity.com/app/308520/discussions/0/618457398956473202/

Another good idea would be replacement sprites or midi mod for the original non-free content.