Thank you for your comments about your experiences. Especially yours, boba, reflect mine. I've done some independent research using the resources provided by the German 'Commissioners for Data Protection and Freedom of Information' which is a government-funded institution. (Links, unfortunately are German only: https://www.youngdata.de/whatsapp-skype-co/skype/ or https://www.ldi.nrw.de/) It led me to inquire about Wire and I think this is the next service I'm going to try -- probably complemented by a Threema-Account as soon as I've got a smartphone.