Marlin wrote:
> Gentiles should keep the commandments.  Those
> commandments pertaining to the priesthood that
> existed in the loins of Abraham in his encounter
> with Melchisedec have been transformed because
> we have a new high priest, Jesus.  Circumcision
> was required for Gentiles who wanted to participate
> in temple activities while it was still there in Paul's time.
> But those temple activities were not necessary for
> salvation. They were only a shadow of the body of
> Christ to come, and fulfilled part of the covenant
> made to Abraham.

Ok, we agree that at least SOME commandments were shadows, and those
commandments that were SHADOWS have nothing DIRECTLY to do with salvation.
For example, circumcision was a shadow of what happens to our heart in
Christ Jesus.  Therefore, physical circumcision is not required for
salvation.  Are we agreed upon this?  I think so.  If not, please clarify.

Now, let me ask you if you are open to me showing you that the seventh day
Sabbath commandment was also a shadow.  Are you willing to consider
Scripture and arguments to consider this?  My position is that the seventh
day Sabbath was a shadow.  Your position is that it was not a shadow.
Correct?

Marlin wrote:
> So to follow your reasoning further, should Christians
> discount 607 of 613 laws because Jesus failed to mention
> them in Mat. 19:17?

No, that is not my reasoning.  My reasoning about Mat. 19:17 is simply that
Jesus had in mind the Torah when he was talking about commandments.  He did
not have in mind commandments that predated Moses.  Can we agree on this?

Marlin wrote:
> Jesus was referring to at least six of the ten
> written on stone with the finger of God.  In
> one form or another, all of the Law of Moses
> remains valid, though its application has been
> transformed.

Ok, I can follow you somewhat on this.  "It's application has been
transformed."  Not exactly the way I would word it, but I can follow and
track with you on this.

Marlin wrote:
> One of Israel's sins was Sabbath breaking
> in various forms.  Even the land had to have
> its Sabbaths.  The dispersion of Israel over
> this violation was prophesied in the Law.

And judgment came upon her even when she did keep the sabbaths.

Isa 1:10 Hear the word of the LORD, ye rulers of Sodom; give ear unto the
law of our God, ye people of Gomorrah.
Isa 1:11 To what purpose is the multitude of your sacrifices unto me? saith
the LORD: I am full of the burnt offerings of rams, and the fat of fed
beasts; and I delight not in the blood of bullocks, or of lambs, or of he
goats.
Isa 1:12 When ye come to appear before me, who hath required this at your
hand, to tread my courts?
Isa 1:13 Bring no more vain oblations; incense is an abomination unto me;
the new moons and sabbaths, the calling of assemblies, I cannot away with;
it is iniquity, even the solemn meeting.
Isa 1:14 Your new moons and your appointed feasts my soul hateth: they are a
trouble unto me; I am weary to bear them.
Isa 1:15 And when ye spread forth your hands, I will hide mine eyes from
you: yea, when ye make many prayers, I will not hear: your hands are full of
blood.
Isa 1:16 Wash you, make you clean; put away the evil of your doings from
before mine eyes; cease to do evil;
Isa 1:17 Learn to do well; seek judgment, relieve the oppressed, judge the
fatherless, plead for the widow.
Isa 1:18 Come now, and let us reason together, saith the LORD: though your
sins be as scarlet, they shall be as white as snow; though they be red like
crimson, they shall be as wool.
Isa 1:19 If ye be willing and obedient, ye shall eat the good of the land:
Isa 1:20 But if ye refuse and rebel, ye shall be devoured with the sword:
for the mouth of the LORD hath spoken it.

In other words, the sabbath was not some special commandment that if one
kept it, all was fine.  The sabbath was one of many commandments in the
Torah, one which Jesus was accused of breaking because Jesus considered
himself Lord of sabbath rather than the sabbath being Lord of him.

Peace be with you.
David Miller, Beverly Hills, Florida  USA