David, you are right. I was taught that by preachers. But after I was taught that, I learned that it was this truth that awakened Martin Luther and thus was one of the foundational tenets of the reformation. Sola Fide, I believe it was called.

I subsequently learned that the pivotal verses that Luther read when he rediscovered this truth were Romans 1:16,17. However, that is a reference to Habbakuk 2:4, which is yet a reference to Abraham and his faith, which was accounted to him as righteousness, as written in Genesis 15:6. This certainly goes back a bit further than "modern easy believism preachers", wouldn't you agree?

Then, in many other places in the new testament, faith is indicated to be that means by which we receive salvation.

To save oneself, "if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved. For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation." (Romans 10:9,10). We are not performing a "work" in this instance...we are accepting the gospel of Jesus Christ as the truth; we are believing it; we have faith that what God has promised is so. "Saving oneself", then, is NOT denying the saving nature of the crucifixion and resurrection of Christ, but accepting it as truth.

Keeping the Lord's commandments does play a part in our belief. Keeping His commandments is our RESPONSE to being saved. It is evidence of our desire to please Him whose abundant mercy and grace have saved us because of our faith. Keeping the commandments is the evidence of the changed life; the fruit by which we shall be known.

You refer to "if you will enter into life, keep the commandments" (Mat. 19:17)". Do you think that this means that "if you enter into life (have faith), then keep the commandments", or does it mean "if you keep my commandments, then you will enter into life"? I believe the former.

I do believe that we are expected to keep the commandments, which are outlined by Jesus in the verses below, and in other places in the scriptures. However, I do not believe that we are expected to live sinless lives...in fact, I believe that we cannot. The verse "be ye therefore perfect because your father in heaven is perfect" is the passage commonly used as a prooftext for this belief, but if one considers what "perfect" meant in 1611, it does not mean the same as it does today.(* I included the strongs definition of "perfect" and have included it as a footnote. It seems the dominant meaning is "complete".) Additional verses are found in 1 John 1:9,10. Why would we need to confess sins if we do not sin?

By the way, the full verse that you quoted, with those that follow, are:

17 And he said unto him, Why callest thou me good? there is none good but one, that is, God: but if thou wilt enter into life, keep the commandments.
18 He saith unto him, Which? Jesus said, Thou shalt do no murder, Thou shalt not commit adultery, Thou shalt not steal, Thou shalt not bear false witness,
19 Honour thy father and thy mother: and, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.

I did not see keeping the sabbath in there. Did you? Looks like it is not necessary to keep the sabbath in order to "enter into life". At least that is what Jesus told the "one" that asked. Why would he omit the first through fourth commandments in His response?

Perry

* 5046. teleios, tel'-i-os; from G5056; complete (in various applications of labor, growth, mental and moral character, etc.); neut. (as noun, with G3588) completeness:--of full age, man, perfect.