Perry wrote:
> David, you are right. I was taught that by
> preachers. But after I was taught that, I
> learned that it was this truth that awakened
> Martin Luther and thus was one of the foundational
> tenets of the reformation. Sola Fide, I believe it
> was called.

Just because it was one of the foundational tenets of the Reformation
does not mean that it was right on.  Sometimes errors are corrected by
an overemphasis in the opposite direction.  When such happens, we should
not take the resultant good fruit as a justification of the absolute
truth of an overemphasis.

The term "sola fide" means "faith alone."  When Luther translated the
Bible, he did something very much like what the Jehovah's Witnesses did
with John 1:1.  The JW's created a translation that added a word to the
verse, so that John 1:1 says that the Word was "a god" rather than just
saying the Word was "God."  Luther created a translation that ADDED the
word "sola" (alone) to Romans 3:28, so that the passage would read that
man is justified by "faith alone" (sola fide).  He felt that the context
justified his insertion of this extra word.

Perry wrote:
> I subsequently learned that the pivotal verses
> that Luther read when he rediscovered this truth
> were Romans 1:16,17. However, that is a reference
> to Habbakuk 2:4, which is yet a reference to Abraham
> and his faith, which was accounted to him as righteousness,
> as written in Genesis 15:6. This certainly goes back
> a bit further than "modern easy believism preachers",
> wouldn't you agree?

Yes, these passages do go further back, but modern easy believism is
fruit from "sola fide."  Even Luther recognized this problem in his
later years when he lamented the moral decline of those in the
reformation.

I'm not as comfortable with Martin Luther as you might be.  It bothers
me that he so readily dismissed the faith of so many of the church
fathers, such as Augustine.  Most disconcerting to me, however, is that
he took an outright belligerent stand against men like Copernicus who
believed the earth revolved around the sun.  His attitude was outright
belligerent, kind of like Glenn's attitude toward me, calling him an
"upstart astrologer" and a fool, and he used the Scriptures to prove a
point which we now know is utterly false.  Of course, he had no respect
whatsoever for James, and Luther declared his epistle not to be of the
Holy Spirit, but rather an epistle of straw and good only to be burned.
I strongly object to Martin Luther in these points, so please try to
understand that from my perspective, mentioning his name hinders rather
than helps any argument for the Biblical justification of sola fide.  If
Luther couldn't justify the idea without cutting out a book from the
Bible and adding to God's Word in another place, I'm skeptical that
modern theologians can do much better.

Perry wrote:
> Then, in many other places in the new testament,
> faith is indicated to be that means by which we
> receive salvation.

And I believe this very much, that salvation comes through faith, just
as Paul taught.  Nevertheless, I do not reject the epistle of James, as
Luther did.  I see that faith produces good works, and so I agree with
James that by works a man is justified, and not by faith only (James
2:24).

Perry wrote:
> To save oneself, "if thou shalt confess with thy
> mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine
> heart that God hath raised him from the dead,
> thou shalt be saved. For with the heart man believeth
> unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is
> made unto salvation." (Romans 10:9,10).
> We are not performing a "work" in this instance...we
> are accepting the gospel of Jesus Christ as the truth;
> we are believing it; we have faith that what God has
> promised is so.

If you look closely at Romans 10:9,10, you will see that Paul
distinguishes between "believing" and "confessing."  I see confessing as
a "work."  It is something which a person does when they believe, it is
something brought about by faith.  Furthermore, I would say that a
person who claims to believe but does not confess does not have saving
faith.

Perry wrote:
> "Saving oneself", then, is NOT denying the saving
> nature of the crucifixion and resurrection of Christ,
> but accepting it as truth.

This sounds like intellectual assent to me.  I would say that such faith
cannot save.  Even the devil accepts as truth the saving nature of the
crucifixion and the resurrection of Christ.  Saving faith must be as
Glenn explained it, not just intellectual, but a trust in Christ to
personally save you.

Perry wrote:
> Keeping the Lord's commandments does play a
> part in our belief.  Keeping His commandments
> is our RESPONSE to being saved.

I agree.

Perry wrote:
> You refer to "if you will enter into life, keep
> the commandments" (Mat. 19:17)". Do you think
> that this means that "if you enter into life
> (have faith), then keep the commandments", or
> does it mean "if you keep my commandments, then
> you will enter into life"? I believe the former.

If these were my only two choices, I also would be inclined to accept
the former, but the text actually says, "if you want to enter into life,
keep the commandments."  So I would pick this latter sentence if it was
offered with the two that you offered.

I'm out of time right now, so I can't respond to the rest of your post
right now.

Peace be with you.
David Miller, Beverly Hills, Florida.