Perry wrote:
> If I may interject, neither Adam nor Eve were physically
> immortal to start with.

I'm VERY surprised to hear this response.  Why do you believe that they
were created as mortal beings who would die?

Perry wrote:
> The death that God was talking about was spiritual death!

Does not spiritual life result in physical life, and spiritual death
result in physical death?

The literal reading of Genesis 2:17 is as follows:

Green's Literal Translation:
but of the Tree of the Knowledge of Good and Evil you may not eat, for
in the day that you eat of it, dying you shall die. (Genesis 2:17 LITV)

Young's Literal Translation:
and of the tree of knowledge of good and evil, thou dost not eat of it,
for in the day of thine eating of it--dying thou dost die.' (Genesis
2:17 YLT)

The "dying thou dost die" phrase is called among the Rabbi's a doubled
death.  They interpret it to refer to both spiritual and physical death.
This makes a lot of sense to me.

Perry wrote:
> Recall that they were bannished from the garden so
> they would not partake of the tree of life and, thus,
> live forever in a fallen and unredeemable state. Kicking
> them out of the garden was an act of mercy, to remove
> them from the presence of the tree of life, thus allowing
> them to be remain redeemable.

I don't understand.  Why would living forever make them unredeemable?

It seems to me that the problem of them living forever is not that they
would be unredeemable, but rather that their progeny being born in a
sinful state would have problems created by the longevity of their
ancestors.  This is perhaps partly why the lifespan of man was
continually shortened as the iniquity of men increased.  Modern man's
lifespan is one-tenth of those who lived in Adam's generation.

Peace be with you.
David Miller, Beverly Hills, Florida.