Bill wrote:
> A dichotomy is by definition a separation.
> I'm saying you can not do this without killing
> the person.

True enough, but you cannot separate the brain from a person without
killing them either.  That doesn't mean that the brain cannot be
identified and talked about separate from the rest of the body and
person.

Bill wrote:
> We are integrated souls. The dualisms and dichotomies
> and trichotomies of your framework is Classical Gr.
> philosophy penetrating and imprisoning your thoughts.

Yes, it is classical Greek, but I think it to be spot on.  Don't you
think Paul draws on this classical Greek thought in Romans 7 when he
says,

"So then with the mind I myself serve the law of God; but with the flesh
the law of sin. (Romans 7:25 KJV)

For the record, I don't object to your sense of the word "soul."  The
Scriptures often use it exactly as you talk about.  Nevertheless, I'm
not convinced that the soul is not something that could be identified
and considered as something distinct.  Several passages of Scripture
seem to do just that (I think Kevin quoted several already).  You may
interpret them otherwise, but especially the Hebrews 4:12 passage
deserves more than just a "figure of speech" acknowledgement.

Peace be with you.
David Miller, Beverly Hills, Florida.