See Malcolm Jeeves on this. Lance
----- Original Message -----
From: Wm. Taylor
Sent: March 15, 2004 01:27
Subject: Re: [TruthTalk] Soul searching.

I said > Oh David, I thing we are agreeing. When we speak of the mind we do not believe we have to separate it from the body, nor from personhood, to know that we are speaking of something which with the rest of the person makes us complete. Do you agree.

David, please excuse me. That didn't make a lick of sense. Let me try again.

You speak of the "brain" and the rest of a "person." You say in agreement with me that to separate the brain from the person is to kill the person. Then you say, "That doesn't mean that the brain cannot be identified and talked about separate from the rest of the body and person." David, I agree with you, and I do not get the impression that you are that far from agreeing with me. Allow me to include what I said to Judy the night this all began:

I think maybe part of the disconnect you are going through may have something to do with the way in which you are dichotomizing the idea of personhood. It's not like spirit and body are segregated, the spirit being completely separate and set away from the body, and the body from the spirit. The human body is an integrated whole. There is spirit, yes; and there is body. The two make a whole -- it's kind of like there is mind and body, distinct but interrelated. When Christ defeated the spiritual aspects of fallenness, he defeated the physical aspects, as well. He rose in the body, too, remember. Salvation saved the whole man and not just his spirit. The resurrection will include some sort of physicality -- restored, recreated, glorified, however one might say it, but always physical, always spiritual, always the whole man.

I think the key to what I am getting at is in this idea of "distinct but interrelated." Brain fits under the idea of personhood. Persons have brains which can be contemplated without doing damage to the greater idea of personhood. On the other hand, mind and body are distinct but interrelated aspects of personhood, neither of which can be understood in isolation from the other. We cannot say how the mind causes the body to work; we can only say that the mind causes the body to work. Yet if the body dies, the mind loses control over the body. It may even cease to exist. Thus the two are distinct, in that they function differently, yet they are interrelated in that they cease to function properly in isolation, the one from the other. Spirit and body are likewise distinct yet interrelated aspects of personhood.

Soul, it seems to me, speaks more to that overarching idea of personhood than it does to an additional part of distinct-yet-interrelatedness.

I said that this topic can open itself up to all kinds of difficulties. I would have been wiser to have kept this one to myself {:>(

my booboo,

    Bill